Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My English Language Learning Journey

To be completely honest, I find it odd how I have landed myself in this class and be made to think about what the English language means to me. I would not dare to proclaim about my level of proficiency in the language, but coming from an English-speaking family (albeit mixed with Singlish like most Singaporean families) and a generation that detests the Chinese language, I feel that I do not have a valid excuse not to excel. In fact, I used to love writing when I was much younger. I remember there was once in secondary school when I scored a 26/30 for one of my essay examinations, which was a huge confidence boost in my writing abilities, because such an occurrence was rare - even for the generally good writers. However, my love for writing started to dwindle off when new types of essay writing were introduced in our syllabus. 

I came to realise that the way English is taught in schools was very restrictive, and had always to follow a certain format. I believe the school was forcing us to adopt the approach they wanted, and we were penalised whenever we did not do so. Not that that was bad or wrong, but language in itself is something very dynamic and expressive and I think some of the essence of it is lost when the school forces us to conform in a certain way. This had left me to conclude that my forte lies only in narrative-writing and one-worded essays where I could freely express my ideas the way I wanted it to. I had managed to get away with that pass the O’levels because we still had that option of doing so; however this was no longer the case in GP. Despite struggling to adapt to the essay styles I have always avoided, I had managed to pick it up quickly although my grades usually fluctuated like crazy. Admittedly, I was caught off-guard in the A’levels when I knew I did not have sufficient knowledge for any of the questions posed. 

Although I still feel slightly indignant for having my academic ability judged based just on a one-time examination, I guess I would just take it as a blessing in disguise to brush up on my skills (particularly so since I’m in FASS) and make the most out of this course! 

(Edited 28/8/14)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, after reading the post, i feel that we are on the same boat, I felt kinda like a 2nd class student after learning that I am required to sit for the QET. What worse is that they are not giving any modular credits (MC) for this!

    But perhaps you will feel better if I told you that I paid 300+ points for this module XD

    Anyway, since we can't get out of this, let us make the best out of this course :)

    Darren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this honest reflection, Daine. You make a fairly strong case that you were surprised by your placement in ES1102. You also seem accepting of your fate. When I look at your writing, I do see enough issues that would warrant you having an opportunity to practice your writing and getting useful feedback--- in short, being in our course.

    Here is a sampling some of your issues:

    1) To be completely honest, I find it odd how I have landed myself in this class and made to think about what the English Language means to me. > capitalization & lack of parallel structure/verb form

    2) there was this once > wording

    3) which was a huge confidence boost in my writing abilities, because such an occurrence is rare even for the generally good writers. (tense)

    4) However, all of that (what?) started to dwindle off when we (who?) were introduced to new types of essay writing.

    5) I came to realise that the way English is taught in schools is very restrictive, and always has to follow a certain format. (tense)

    6) I came to realise that the way English is taught in schools is very restrictive, and always has to follow a certain format. I believe.... (inconsistent tense usage between sentences)

    7) I believe the school was forcing us to adopt the approach they wanted thus we were penalised whenever we do not do so. (tense & comma splice)

    8) I am not saying that that was bad or wrong, in fact it is the ideal and what guarantees us our grades, but language in itself is something very dynamic and expressive and I think some of the essence of it is lost when the school forces us to do things in a certain way. ( tense; rambling & sentence splice)

    9) This had left me to conclude that my forte lies only in narrative-writing and one-worded essays where I can freely express my ideas the way I wanted it to. (tense)

    10) paragraphing according to standard academic convention (which is what most course assignment rubrics are based upon)

    I was similar to you when I was your age. I had always scored well in English in secondary school. However, for the ACT (the college entrance test), I did poorly. Then when I was in the first-year uni composition class, I got lots of Bs on the weekly papers. I was indignant. Finally, in a meeting with my teacher it was explained to me what my issues were. Ouch!

    There is great hope for you, Daine. I'm living proof. We can all stand to improve our written communication!

    ReplyDelete